Resources for Parents & Teachers
Child Care And School Resources
- Accelerated Reader BookFinder - Search for the right Accelerated Reader book for your child with this free online tool.
- ALA Great Web Sites For Kids - Excellent sites for young people evaluated by the Association for Library Service to Children.
- Great Start to Quality - Find child care and preschool providers that meet the needs of your family. All providers are licensed or registered in the State of Michigan.Theme boxes, story stretchers, books, CDs, and DVDs available for free check out to parents, preschool teachers, and day care providers.
- Home Access Center - Allows MPS parents and students to view student registration, scheduling, attendance, assignment, and grade information.
- MeL Books and Literacy Gateway - Collection of resources to enhance reading choices for adults and children.
- MeL Kids Gateway - Collection of resources to enhance reading and provide resources for kids homework assignments.
- Michigan Department of Human Services Statewide Childcare Search - Search this statewide database for child day care centers and homes.
- Picture Parent Online - Everything you need to support your Picture Parent teaching experience.
- Starfall Kindergarten Reading and Language Arts - A phonics approach to teaching children to read. Perfect for preschool, K-2, special education, homeschool, and English language development (ELD, ELL, ESL).
- Storyline Online - Online videos featuring Screen Actors Guild members reading popular children's books aloud. Includes accompanying activities and lesson plans.
- Grace Dow Library Early Literacy Pamphlets
- Better Brains for Babies - Dedicated to promoting awareness and education about the importance of early brain development.
Health & Development
- American Academy Of Pediatrics - Child and adolescent health information. Guidelines, publications, and other health resources from leading child health experts.
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health - National Institute of Mental Health. Brochures and comprehensive booklets about many mental health problems of childhood.
- HealthyChild.org - Trustworthy, up-to-the-minute health care information and guidance for parents and caregivers from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Your Child: Development and Behavior Resources - Reliable parenting information from the University of Michigan on child development and behavior.
- Zero To Three - Learn more about young children and their early health and development. Early experiences matter!
Grace Dow Library Resources
- Big Books - Same story, same number of pages, but these books measure 14" by 18" or larger. Please see the librarian before taking Big Books to checkout.
- Booklists: Our Lists Of Recommended Books - Grace A. Dow Memorial librarians have created booklists for children, parents, and teachers. Get ideas for great books to read on a variety of topics or by reading level.
- Books With Multiple Copies - Are you interested in checking out multiple copies of the same title? Before planning your next group book discussion, take a look at quality children's literature available in multiple copies.
- Educator Cards - See your school administrator for information about a library account and related policies.
- Book Baskets - Check out a bright yellow book basket - along with your books - to store library materials at home or at school. Baskets may be renewed up to five times.
- Library Visits - Library tours are available to schools in our service area as well as to other groups in the community. Call the Youth Services desk 989-837-3466 or return the printable form at least two weeks in advance to schedule your visit.
- Online Databases - Encourage your students to use our databases! We subscribe to educational databases that are available for use in the library or from home with a library card.
- Magazines - Supplement your curriculum with ideas from parent and professional magazines. Back issues of Ask, Boys' Life, Click, Dig into History, Faces: People, Places and Cultures, Family Fun, Home School Digest, Library Sparks, Mailbox, Michigan History, Muse, National Geographic Kids, National Geographic Little Kids, Old Schoolhouse, Practical Homeschooling, and Ranger Rick; all circulate for 28 days.