2015-2016 Sample Questions
The following are some examples of questions asked in written and oral battles.
Not all questions will fall into such precise categories.
Give the first and last name of the character who had a list of the Fifty-Nine Greatest Books of All Time.
2. “In what book” questions
In what book did a character call a stone bench supported by two crouching lions, “My special seat, my throne.”
3. “Comparison with another book(s) on the list”
In PROJECT MULBERRY, Julia’s mother taught her how to embroider. In what book did a character’s grandmother teach her how to crochet?
4. “Important setting or location”
In PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS, the Regans spent their summers at the house in Branches. What city was their winter home in?
5. “Short answer – significant title, event or object”
The night Diana borrowed LASSIE COME HOME from Lissa, Georgie took something too. What was it?
6. “Give one out of two or more possibilities”
After the questers returned from Regalia from their rescue journey, Ares was put on trial for two things. One was treason. What was the other?
7. “Quotation directly from the book”
Fill in the blank in this saying from ESPERANZA RISING: “Wait a little while and the _____ will fall into your hand.”
8. “Definition of unique terms or important words”
In PROJECT MULBERRY, you learned that “sericulture” is the scientific word for what type of farming?
9. “Why” questions
Patrick was excited about the silkworm project right from the beginning, but why didn’t Julia want to do it?
| Helpful Hints
Answers to the Sample Questions
1. Steve Brixton -- Barnett -- p 2
2. OLD WILLIS PLACE -- Hahn -- p 41
3. ESPERANZA RISING -- Ryan -- p 12-13
4. Hancock -- Giff -- p 75, 163
5. Lissa’s teddy bear -- Hahn -- p 31
6. Breaking his bond with Henry -- Collins -- p 290-291
7. fruit -- Ryan -- p 2
8. silk -- Park -- p 207, 213
9. It was too Korean -- Park -- p 29