Downtown Midland Streetscape Redevelopment
- November 11, 2015 – Downtown Development Authority (DDA) holds its annual strategic planning session and identifies streetscape redevelopment as a high priority for its 2016 plan of work
- January 13, 2016 – at its regularly scheduled meeting, the DDA Board adopts its 2016 Plan of Work, identifies the streetscape redevelopment as its number one priority for 2016 and agrees to assign a streetscape redevelopment team to oversee the project, reporting back to the DDA.
View DDA Board Meeting: January 13, 2016
Link to DDA 2016 Plan of Work, Strategic Plan Document adopted Jan. 13, 2016
- January-February – 2016 Streetscape Redevelopment Committee is established and invitations extended by the DDA Chair. Final committee includes:
- Robert Rathbun – Chair: DDA board member, representing Chemical Bank a downtown business/property holder;
- Bill Allen – representing the Midland Area Chamber of Commerce/Midland Tomorrow;
- Bobbie Arnold – DDA board member;
- Bo Brines – DDA board member, downtown business and property owner;
- Steve Bush – downtown business and property owner;
- Scott Coyer – Midland Downtown Business Association president, downtown business owner;
- David Kell – DDA board member;
- Stephanie Richardson – downtown horticulturist/City of Midland;
- Peter Shaheen – developer, downtown property owner.
- February 10, 2016 – Streetscape Committee holds its first meeting to review the committee purpose, scope of work and Request for Proposal (RFP) considerations
- February 23, 2016 – Streetscape Committee holds its second meeting to review draft RFP and timeline.
2016 Downtown Midland Streetscape Redevelopment Committee
Purpose of Committee:
- Determine scope of the 2016 Downtown Midland Streetscape Redevelopment project;
- Develop a Request for Proposal (RFP) to secure a qualified planner for the project;
- Evaluate the RFPs and recommend to the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) board on hiring a planner consultant;
- Work with the planner consultant to gather public input
- Work with the planner consultant to develop a proposed concept be recommended to the DDA
- Robert Rathbun – Chair: DDA board member, representing Chemical Bank, downtown business/property owner
- Bill Allen – representing the Midland Area Chamber of Commerce/Midland Tomorrow
- Bobbie Arnold – DDA board member
- Bo Brines – DDA board member, downtown business and property owner
- Steve Bush – downtown business and property owner
- Scott Coyer – Midland Downtown Business Association president, downtown business owner
- David Kell – DDA board member
- Stephanie Richardson – downtown horticulturist/City of Midland
- Peter Shaheen – developer, downtown property owner
The City’s primary goal for this Plan is to evaluate design options and provide base conceptual engineering plans for the redesign and reconstruction of Main Street. The Downtown Development Authority has broadened this original and still primary goal to review all streets and streetscapes in the DDA. The final plan is expected to provide conceptual engineering plans for Main Street, together with one or more conceptual engineering plans for all other streets, in the DDA. The city has no immediate preference for whether this Plan is presented on an individual street basis or on a street hierarchical basis.
Considerations to be given during the design process will include road design, sidewalk treatments, landscaping, electrical service, lighting, irrigation lines, and others. The inclusion of festival streets will need to be given consideration in the course of evaluating deign options.
Community involvement in the process of designing and presenting the final Plan will be critical to the success of this project. A coordinated effort to involve the community throughout the process will be expected.