Big on Business
The Dow Chemical Company and Dow Corning Corporation are two Fortune 500 companies with world headquarters and major manufacturing plants in the community, adding to the excellence of Midland through their continued scientific research and development.
Other professional opportunities can be found at hundreds of large and small businesses throughout Midland and our neighboring communities and at Midland’s state-of-the-art medical facility, Mid-Michigan Medical Center, featuring the Neuroscience Institute and Pardee Cancer Center.
For details on the City's efforts to bring about more business and industry to our community, check out the websites of the City of Midland's economic development partner, Midland Tomorrow, plus business collaborators Midland Area Chamber of Commerce and the Great Lakes Bay Region.
Midland's economic development efforts have garnered much attention by those outside of our community. See this recognition from the University of Michigan-Dearborn's Center for Innovation Research for our outstanding work towards bringing more business to town:
Midland has experienced much economic development in the past 20 years. One area of town continues to grow and flourish as a great destination for residents and visitors alike: Downtown Midland. An emphasis on a thriving downtown has resulted in:
- The 2007 opening of the $50 million Dow Diamond stadium, home of Class-A minor league baseball's Great Lakes Loons
- The new East End Development, an urban-style center that adds a contemporary feel and comes complete with live / work dwellings; loft housing; pedestrian plazas; public art; outdoor dining; and unique shops and cafes
- A 5-star quality hotel and conference center, the H Hotel
- Upscale and casual restaurants and specialty shops
- Charming apartments and condo living
- Space for businesses of all types and sizes
- Continuing construction of multi-level buildings for business, retail, and residential use
The Center City District
is a shopping locale in - you guessed it - the center of Midland. It is
fully developed with a mixture of retail, restaurant, and other service
sector businesses, as well as some multi-family housing.
The community is also home to a regional shopping mall, the Midland Mall, constructed in 1991 and located on Eastman Avenue just north of US-10. The mall features four anchor stores complemented by more than 60 specialty and name-brand shops. Many retail stores, hotels, restaurants, and entertainment locales have sprouted up in the mall area, helping to bring a full range of shopping, dining, and leisure opportunities to area residents and visitors.